Thursday, August 6, 2009

JOHN 10 AND THE "FIVE POINTS" OF CALVINISM


The Reformed have found in these great words
of our Lord, Biblical support for what have come to be commonly be known as the
"Five Points" of Calvinism. In this one passage alone...there is indeed textual
support for all five of the so-called "Five Points."


TOTAL DEPRAVITY__The notion that we are unable to come to God on our own apart from a prior act of God upon us: "I did tell you, but you do not believe." (v.25)

UNCONDITIONAL ELECTION__God chooses to save His elect, by-passing the non-elect and leaving them to perish in their sins: "I know my sheep...They will listen to my voice. You do not believe because you are not of my sheep." (v. 14, 26)

LIMITED ATONEMENT__Christ's death is not designed to make people savable, but to save those whom the Father has chosen: "I lay down my life for the sheep" (v. 15)

IRRESISTIBLE GRACE__as fallen, God must call His elect to faith through His word:
"My sheep hear my voice, I know them and they follow me" (v. 27)

PERSEVERANCE OF THE SAINTS__the elect will persevere until the end because of Christ's intercession for them: "I give them eternal life and they shall never perish. ...No one can snatch them out of my hand" (v. 29)


(From The White Horse Inn: "Highlights from John's Gospel"- Listener's Guide to the broadcast of April 2, 1995)

No comments: